06 Feb 2019
TITLE: Communications Assistant
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Ukraine Country Office LOCATION: Slavyansk, with possible travels around Ukraine (GCA, NGCA) and abroad
CONTRACT LENGTH: till 31 Aug 2019 with possible extension
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight).
ROLE PURPOSE: The Communication Assistant is responsible for supporting media, communication, advocacy and campaign activities of Save the Children.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Head of Advocacy
Staff reporting to this post: none
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
• Assist in working on internal communication with staff in Ukraine and across SC, and external communication with partners, including media to ensure Save the Children’s programs in Ukraine are effectively and accurately presented;
• Assist in producing compelling communication materials such as case studies, sitreps, social media updates, infographics, and photos;
• Assist in building Save the Children’s media profile in Ukraine by creating a media database and distributing SCI news to the media; facilitating interviews with local and international media;
• Update the program coordinators on requirements and/or changes in Save the Children and donor organizations branding strategies, and policy requirements. Ensure donors’ visibility requirements are met;
• Conduct regular media monitoring to ensure that senior management and other staff staff are informed about the latest news affecting SC operations:
• Keep track of all SC Ukraine’s photography, video and communication materials created in Ukraine and throughout the country:
• Implement Save the Children’s safe programing principles and principles of do no harm.
• Act as a visibility focal point for Ukraine CO and report on communication activities to the regional communication staff and donors.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
• holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
• values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• willing to take disciplined risks.
• honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
• Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences (public relations, communications, journalism, marketing or information technology)
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• At least 1 year experience working in information, communications and media
• Previous experience working in a non-profit organisation
• Ability to deliver high-quality communications content, including photographs and case studies, about Save the Children’s programs
• Experience in interviewing vulnerable children and understanding child protection guidelines and procedures
• Ability to effectively communicate with beneficiaries, partners, donors and the media
• Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, Russian and Ukrainian
• Experience in developing media and communications products in a politically and culturally sensitive manner
• Excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Word and Powerpoint
• Experience in producing and editing photo/video content
• Excellent relationship building skills
• Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children.
• PhotoShop or other design software skills
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Please send CV to the following e-mail address: Kateryna.Zagorna@savethechildren.org