19 Mar 2019
TITLE: Education Technical Advisor
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Program Development and Quality LOCATION: Sloviansk, Ukraine, with frequent travel to other field locations and occasional travel to Kiev
CONTRACT LENGTH: TBD
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Education Technical Advisor will be responsible for playing a leading role in ensuring that all Save the Children interventions related to education are of a high technical quality and fully in line with Save the Children’s Country Strategic Plan for Ukraine. The Education Technical Advisor will work with teams across the organisation to provide leadership in building internal and external capacity on education. The Education Technical Advisor will ensure that interventions are in line with international and Save the Children’s quality standards and procedures, international guidelines and best practice for education and contextualise globally proven approaches to the context of Ukraine. The Education Technical Advisor will lead on ensuring effective documentation of interventions, documentation of training materials, knowledge management, and will support processes to capture lessons learned and support broader Save the Children strategy development and learning processes. The Education Technical Advisor will establish close working relationships with other technical advisors to ensure high quality programs, integration and coherence of programs. The Education Technical Advisor will contribute to project and proposal development to ensure high quality project design and foster innovative solutions. The Education Technical Advisor will also play a critical role in networking and relationship building with key internal and external stakeholders, in mobilising external technical assistance and in supporting capacity building of partners and other stakeholders.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Programs Development and Quality Manager
Staff reporting to this post: 0
Budget Responsibilities: None
Other Reporting and Coordination Responsibilities: Donetsk Oblast Focal Point for the Education Cluster and reporting lead for the Education Cluster and Mine Action Sub Cluster
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
In collaboration with the Program Development and Quality Manager, provide technical leadership on SCI Ukraine’s Education programming and practice:
Strategic Planning and reporting
• Provide strategic leadership to Save the Children’s work in Education in Ukraine
• Develop and update education technical strategies, in line with SCI Ukraine’s strategic priorities, and SCI global education objectives and approaches
• Lead on Country Strategic Plan reporting on education-related strategic goals, working closely with the MEAL team
• Lead on technical proposal development for concepts and proposals related to education programming, ensuring that proposals are evidence-based and participatory (including partners and children)
• Ensure that technical proposals are aligned with SCI’s Country Strategic Plan, Common Approaches and SCI global priorities
• Ensure that technical proposals are integrated with other thematic areas, that gender, inclusion and resilience are mainstreamed at the very least
• Support the Child Safeguarding Focal Points to ensure that education proposals are safe for children
• Explore innovative solutions and approaches to deliver high quality programs
Program quality, technical expertise, knowledge management, innovation
• Provide technical expertise, quality assurance and support for Save the Children’s education program in line with international best practice
• Lead on the implementation of Common Approaches
• Actively participate in SC working groups, communities of practice to facilitate knowledge exchange
• Ensure that education programs are of high quality with reliable data and outcomes, in collaboration with the MEAL team
• Work closely with the Eastern Europe Knowledge Manager to learn and apply best practices of the region in Education programming; contribute to the Knowledge Management Impact Centre operations by sharing relevant best practices, research, reports, etc.
• Ensure that program experience in Ukraine contributes to regional and global learning
• Maintain high intelligence of the country context in Education area and continuously explore information on needs, issues and constraints
• Contribute to development of TORs for education-related assessments and research.
• Lead processes to ensure globally proven approaches are contextualised for Ukraine
• Strengthen program learning and documentation on education, in collaboration with the MEAL team
Support to program implementation
• Support the Operations team to implement Save the Children’s strategy in the area of Education
• Participate in operational plans development in the area of education
• Support the Operations team to deliver activities to the highest standards, assess capacity building needs and areas for improvement
• Conduct monitoring visits in collaboration with the MEAL team to assess quality of implementation
• Work in close cooperation with Partnership Coordinator to assess, identify and support strategic partners in Education
• Contribute and supervise to the development of communications products, in collaboration with the Communications team
• Contribute to SCI country program planning and reporting on education thematic priorities
• Build the capacity of program, partner staff, stakeholders in line with program priorities
• Develop education-specific training packages, conduct workshops, trainings and other learning events for project teams, partners and other stakeholders
• Provide direct technical support to partners implementing education activities with Save the Children
• Participate in global learning and capacity building event and cascade learning to the team as appropriate
Advocacy and representation
• Lead on external representation in education in Ukraine and abroad, networking and relationship building with key stakeholders
• Help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with government authorities, donors, partners, and local and international NGOs related to education
• Engage with education expertise available within the organization globally, including members, communities of practice and networks to be well aware of thematic updates, best practices, project models, etc.
• Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
• Perform other responsibilities as agreed with line management.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice):
• holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for self and team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages/demonstrates to the team how to do the same.
• Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
• Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, and external partners and supporters.
• Values diversity; sees it as a source of competitive strength.
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
• Willing to take disciplined risks and experiment with new ways of doing things.
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of personal and professional integrity.
• Always acts in the best interests of children.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience in education programs or related field.
• Strong technical understanding of the education sector, in emergencies and development contexts.
• Ability to identify the gaps in Education in a given context to inform a holistic response for children.
• Experience in building relationships, fostering interagency coordination and experience of representing an organisation to external stakeholders.
• Experience in designing and facilitating training and capacity building.
• Previous experience working for Save the Children.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Russian or Ukrainian
• Commitment to upholding Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy, as well as principles of do no harm and confidentiality
• Understanding of and commitment to SCI aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
Please send CV to the following e-mail address: Kateryna.Zagorna@savethechildren.org