12 Feb 2018
|Position: MHPSS Supervisor||Status: Salaried (National)|
|Starting date: asap||Availability: Immediate|
|Country : Ukraine||Base: Severodonetsk|
- Context of the mission
M?decins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
The crisis in Ukraine began in November 2013 following escalating violence in Kyiv as well as widespread protests across the country.
MdM is currently implementing a project in the Luhansk Oblast – Ukraine since September 2015. MdM intervenes to improve access and quality of health care services for vulnerable conflict affected populations in Luhansk Oblast, namely internally displaced persons (IDPs) and host communities in government controlled areas (GCA)s.
The project aims to:
- Increase access to integrated quality PHC services for vulnerable populations in conflict-affected areas of Donbass – including Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH), Gender-Based Violence (GBV), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) and referral systems:
- Strengthen local health capacities (authorities, NGOs) to ensure access to health care services for vulnerable populations in GCA.
- Main objectives of the position
Under the direct supervision of the Field Coordinator and technical guidance of the MHPSS Coordinator, the MHPSS Supervisor provides ongoing supervision for MDM’s MHPSS activities and supports their implementation.
S/he directly supervises the activities of MDM Mobile Unit psychologists, the Community Mental Health Officer’s activities, and MHPSS trainings in Governmental Control Areas (GCA). In addition, s/he gives technical support for MdM in order to improve access to mental health and psychosocial support for the population.
S/he is responsible for data collection, reporting and contributions to coordination with MdM team and partners (INGO, NGO, health authorities…) at Severodonetsk level.
- Assist in the development, coordination, implementation and supervision of MdM’s MHPSS activities in Luhansk oblast
- Conduct MHPSS training and supervision with MdM psychologists and other related service providers on both simple and complex MHPSS cases, including gender-based violence (GBV)
- Be responsible for helping ensure all MHPSS activities in Luhansk oblast are on schedule and implemented with a high quality of care for beneficiaries
- Provide supervision and technical support on a field level to the Mobile Unit psychologists and the Community Mental Health Officer on their daily activities in order to ensure effective and efficient implementation of mental health and psychosocial support given to beneficiaries
- Support the team in the implementation of MdM Mental Health and GBV Guidelines and procedures so all components of the program are consistent and in link with international MHPSS standards
- Assess needs of training for MdM staff/partners and assist in organizing and/or in providing trainings accordingly on a variety of topics (building skills of psychologists, how to deliver psychoeducation, integration of MHPSS for primary health care staff, reporting, MHPSS for GBV survivors etc…) in coordination with MHCo and MedCo
- Develop and/or adapt specific didactic materials for capacity building and awareness-raising activities on MHPSS and GBV
- Support the development and maintenance of quality referral pathways for MHPSS needs identified through MdM activities
- Follow up the quality of MHPSS activities through regular field visits and monitoring of data collection processes
- Maintain a regular communication with relevant staff to help better improve the performance and answer the pressing needs that have been identified
- Coordinate closely with Field Coordinator and Mental Health Coordinator through regular discussions/ communication to help enhance program implementation
- Collaborate and participate, in any field survey, data collection and/or needs assessment organized by MdM in relation to mental health
- When needed, provide psychological support to patients according to MdM protocols to improve mental health conditions of patients and enhance their functionality
- Participate in the recruitment of local mental health staff for the organization
- Assure direct management of MH officer and functional management to MU psychologists
- Conduct annual appraisals of staff under his/her supervision
- Provide follow up and approval working hours and leaves of the staff under his/her supervision.
- Contribute to capacity building of the MH team on the base in Severodonetsk
- Coordination with NGOs, local associations
Upon request of the FieldCo:
- Maintain regular contacts with other NGOs and organizations, through meetings, training, workshops, etc.
- Attend regular Health Cluster and GBV meetings at field level
- Ensure coordination and communication with health partners and MdM project partners in collaboration with Liaison Officer
- Provide a short summary when meetings are attended
- Provide a weekly and monthly report to the FieldCo and MHCo, detailing activities done, supervision, training given, assessments undertaken etc.
- Follow up and analyse daily mental health reports before submitting to MHCo
- Analyse the mental health data on a regular basis and develop corrective measures when needed, in coordination with MHCo and/or FieldCo
- Contribute to regular reports on MHPSS activities, in coordination with MHCo
- Apply and respect MDM security rules in the mission
- Maintain good socio-professional relationships with national and international partners.
- Attend team meetings and provide qualitative input
- If necessary, contribute in preparing emergency plans with the Coordination team to adjust activities and medical resources to the needs
- Take part in advocacy and communication activities under the supervision of MHCo and FieldCo
- Perform other additional duties on request of the MHCo and FieldCo
- Hierarchical and Functional links
Hierarchical link: FieldCo
Technical link: MHCo
Functional link: MHCo, MedCo, MedSup, Mental Health Officer, MU staff on the field.
- Background of the candidate
Humanitarian experience – Yes
Coordination experience – Yes
Emergency experience – Yes
|Languages||English||Fluent writing and speaking||Computer skills||Fair knowledge of windows environment (MS Word, MS Excel)|
|Russian / Ukrainian||Fluent writing and speaking|
|Profile required :
– Degree in psychology, or other relevant field and/or training in psychology.
– Significant experience working with NGOs and INGO in humanitarian response
– Experience in mental health and psychosocial support during emergency response, including support to victims of gender-based violence
– Familiarity with international standards in MHPSS, including IASC Guidelines and evidence based interventions s is highly desirable
– Experience in development and implementation of a supervision and follow-up framework is desirable
– Experience of developing team and organizational capacity through trainings and supervision
– Training design, content development and delivery
– Excellent facilitation skills
– Knowledge of global and national public health and mental health context is an asset
– Knowledge of Ukrainian policy and national guidelines on mental health and gender-based violence
– Experience in networking and coordination with local authorities, partners and staff to ensure quality referral process
– Ability to have a strategic view on a program implementation process
|Personal skills required:
– Ability to take quick decisions according to the context in coordination with a team
– Reactiveness, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
– Organizational skills
– Good writing and communication skills
– Team work spirit
– Gender sensitive
This position requires a high degree of confidentiality, honesty and impartiality. Given the financial responsibilities, this position implies a high degree of financial solidarity.
M?decins du Monde – France is a French humanitarian organization, involved in emergency, post-emergency and development programs in Luhansk Region, Ukraine.
The objectives of the programs are to limit the medical impact of the restrictions in accessing medical care on the displaced Ukrainian population, to improve health welfare of the IDPs and to bear witness to the violations of the right to health.
The employee shall respect M?decins du Monde – France’s schedule and Terms and Conditions of Engagement for National Staff and is expected to be available anytime in order to answer to an emergency situation and be flexible and available beyond normal working hours if requested.
This job description can be modified according to changes in MDM activities or in the context. It can be amended at any time after mutual consultation, in order to fit the requirements of the programs.
Made in English in two original copies, one for the employee and one for MDM, in Severodonetsk, Ukraine.