09 Mar 2018
The Communication Officer is responsible for leading PIN Ukraine’s internal and external communication and visibility activities, is line-managed by the Advocacy Expert, and cooperates closely with the M&E department, Head of Programme and Programme Managers. S/he communicates regularly and coordinates activities with the Communication & Advocacy Department at PIN headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic.
Duty station: Slavyansk, Kiev
Tasks and responsibilities
The Communication Officer will be responsible to:
Overview of Main Tasks
- Develop and Implement PIN Ukraine’s Communication Strategy and Action Plan;
- Develop communication materials (articles, photos, videos, support organization of events, etc.);
- Together with the management of the Country Program, enforce observing of the Communication Rules for PIN Ukraine mission;
- Act as focal point and budget holder for Visibility activities;
- Act as a focal point for international journalists interested in PIN’s activities and the humanitarian situation in eastern Ukraine, who visit the mission (including logistical arrangements, such as travel permits etc.);
- Ensure regular communication with PIN’s Communication Officers in HQ (delivering stories, articles, photos and videos etc.);
- Closely cooperate with the rest of PIN Advocacy and Communications Department in Ukraine and supports advocacy activities as needed;
- Support organisation of any public events that may be needed;
- Collect stories (including pictures and videos) from programmes (via field visits) and data from M&E Unit to develop a quarterly internal newsletter;
- Organise and monitor distribution of visibility materials to field staff by focal point in each program team;
- Help organising internal team building events;
- Support the Head of Operations in mapping internal processes and communicate them to team members.
- Update every 4 months PIN’s factsheet for external stakeholders;
- Conduct media activities as described below;
- Monitor PIN’s media presence, consult Country Director and respond as advised;
- Help programme managers prepare fact sheets and other accessible information formats for project communication as needed.
- Collect beneficiary/success stories directly in the field: take photos and write accompanying captions; make short videos covering PIN Ukraine activities; develop photo collections and organizes the photos according to agreed structure; writes articles/stories/case studies in English
- Shares collected material with CD, HoP, PMs, HQ Communication & Advocacy Department on regular basis
- Write press releases and contributes to Press Releases developed by HQ, maintaining journalists contact list
- Prepare the flyer/leaflet and presentations about PIN Ukraine and each programme
- Contribute with information products (stories, photos) to advocacy efforts or campaigns run by the Advocacy and Communications Department of PIN Ukraine or PIN HQ
- Support advocacy efforts by suggesting appropriate communication tools
- Contribute to design the visibility section of proposals, and together with the team ensures that all visibility commitments in proposals are met;
- Support the preparation of visibility materials (posters, leaflets) for all projects and supervises that Program teams are aware and using these
- Manage a communication intern/volunteer by setting his/her priorities and supervising his/her work.
Skills and Qualifications
- MA degree, or BA degree with at least 3 years of professional experience in a relevant field;
- Experience in public relations, communication, journalism required;
- Ability to design and plan media and communication activities and ensure timely implementation;
- Demonstrated ability to write stories and reports, take photos, videos and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism;
- Good knowledge of social media tools;
- Graphic design skills desirable;
- Native Ukrainian and Russian, advanced English language.
Please send a CV and Motivation letter to camilla.corradin@peopleinneed.